Monday 27 May 2013

Hampden AE831


Looks like the sign has been replaced since my last visit , says the same but must be a new one by the looks of things  or at very least has been cleaned and had a paint job!.
This was one of my earliest crash site  visits and I have not done a proper write up of this site .So i am redressing this now !
On the 21st January 1942 this aircraft was returning from an abortive leaflet dropping operation over France in bad weather to its base at RAF Skellingthorpe, when it crashed into high ground at Cluther Rocks on the edge of the Kinder plateau .
The crew were lost and looking for Ringway Airport and had even been in contact with them before they crashed . The Hampden burnt out and all the crew were killed .
They were

Sgt . R.G. Heron    Pilot
Sgt. W.C. Williams    Nav
Sgt. W.T. Tromans    WO
Sgt. S.A. Peters        WO/AG

Sgt. Heron and Sgt. Williams were members of the  Royal Australian Air Force

5 comments:

  1. Hello mate. Just a quick note to say Hi. I like the look of your new blog!

    I will take some time going through it properly - when I have some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian ,
    Thanks .....did you have to do some form of 'sign in' to comment or can you just comment straight away ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the delay in replying Paul. Signed in my with Gooogle account. Easy enough to comment. Just been over to ipernity looking at Graham's stream. Didn't you have some other photos on this front page, have you removed some? Or did I dream it?

    I will add a link on my blog to your blog when I work out how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell you what's a pain in the arse is the spam filter that comes up, makes you copy out the wobbly words.

    ReplyDelete