Saturday 1 February 2014

De Havilland Tiger Moth T6464


De Havilland Tiger Moth T6464 

 
Flying out of RAF Sealand on the 12th April 1945 , the pilot lost control of the aircraft in cloud crashing into the moor , Blindstones Moss, near Chew Reservoir on the edge of the Peak District.
The pilot was killed .

F/Sgt. M.A. O'Connell (RNZAF)

Not much remains at the site now . It is easily accessed from the resovoir road . Harder to find is the nearby Lysander V9403 . A well put together walk can take you to 5 crash sites in the space of a few miles above Dovestones Res !

3 comments:

  1. Your photo of this site is far nicer than mine. One I should revisit. I went on a gloomy day and got bitten to buggery by midges as I tried to photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reason I should revisit; the crash site of an aircraft type I have actually flown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes , i remeber , you have flown one ! definately one to visit again ....mind you it would be rude to go up there and not do the rounds of all the other sites there !
      I,m sure ive been up with you though , i,ve definately visited the mossie twice .
      I wasnt that struck with my shot really ....it does make the wreckage look like quite an amount though ...when in reality there is hardly owt there ... mind you the amount at the Lysander is one thief away from vanishing completely !

      Delete