Sunday 1 November 2015

 De Havilland Mosquito MkII W4088
Undercarriage
On the 1st November 1944 this Mosquito Aircraft crashed into Mynydd Mawr in  North Wales.
Flying out of RAF Cranfield on a night navigation exercise the crew became misplaced and crashed into the hillside at a col below the summit. The aircraft broke up and was scattered over a wide area, the bulk of it coming to rest and burning out.
This location can still be seen. a liberal scattering of brass screws from the wooden aircrafts structure and molten alloy from the engines cover the site.
Further down the hill a substantial section of undercarriage remains still with timber extant attached.
Other smaller pieces of wreckage can be found with a careful search of the area.
Unfortunately both crewmen were killed in the crash. They were

Captain J. De Thuisy
and
Pilot Officer J. Marchal
Location where the aircraft burnt out
Our visit took place on the 71st anniversary of the crash.

6 comments:

  1. I saw this earlier - have almost identical lead photo! Stunning view that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its some view....think you must have been stood next to me wen you took your shot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pasujoba did you visit the Vampire while there ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew, yes we did, we saw the stones marked out in the aircrafts letters which we presume indicate the location of the initial impact but didnt find any fragmentsto back that hypothosis.
      Then we walked on to the mossie before cutting down into the valley where wreckage from the Vampire is reported to be. We did find some by the stream but with fading light called it a do at that and we then made our way off the hill.

      Delete
  4. You have good articles here! If anyone here looking for loan @ 2% rate in return to buy home or other financing needs, I want you to contact Mr Benjamin On 247officedept@gmail.com Also On Whats-App + 1-989-394-3740When I was introduced to Mr. Benjamin, I was entering the market as a first time buyer. Naturally,my needs were a bit different and I had loads of questions. Before he sent me my pre-approval letter, he called to speak with me about what it meant and what could change. He made himself available to me at pretty much any hour via email and texts. He was very responsive and knowledgeable. He’s also very straightforward. I explained to him what my expectations were in terms of closing time and other particulars. He said he would meet those expectations but he surpassed them. I closed so quickly my realtor and the seller of course were excited about that. But as a buyer I appreciated being walked through the process of Mr Benjamin loan offer. From pre-approval to closing- the journey was so seamless and I consider myself lucky because I’ve heard horror stories. I recommend him to anyone looking for a loan. Everything was handled electronically expediently and securely   

    ReplyDelete