Tuesday 28 January 2014

Avro Anson N4919


Avro Anson N4919



Pictured here with the crags in the background are the few remaining scraps of wreckage , including two wing front edges. 

 This aircraft crashed on Wolf Hole Crag in the Forest of Bowland on 9th February 1944.

Flying out of Millom the pilot , Flight Seargent Dobson , had little choice but to descend due to icing up of the wings , realising he was over high ground he attempted and succeeded in a forced landing . All of the 5 crew members survived .

This crash site is a fair old trek out into the middle of nowhere , and once there the wreckage took some finding . So much so , that I only found it just as I gave up looking and started to return back to the car. I had scoured over 100s of metres of ground and looked through the Rocks in search of the wreckage and found nothing at all.
It was almost a very frustrating trip out , but turned out to be a good one in the end !

This location is at SD 6293 5771 as much as   80m from the only given location  that I had .
Not having a Sat Nav I confirmed this location by pacing on a compass bearing, North, to a wall that was only 50 paces away  and then another 18 paces  along the wall  to a turn so depending on the OS map accuracy I am fairly sure of this location . I am not gonna be far out over such a short distance  and am certain anyone using this 8 figure  GR will have no problem finding the wreckage for as long as it remains in this location. 

Below, my sticks mark the exact GR I had in relation to this site . I could find nothing visible at all , despite over an hour of searching in a grid pattern from this point .
I did though eventually find the wreckage pool , if not the impact point , a long long way away .
This point , the sticks , GR ....SD 630577
 I was on my own today , Ian would like this place , its the middle nowhere surrounded by mile upon mile of featurless moor !

5 comments:

  1. I would've liked it. Cracking SPs there Paul. Nice bit of colour on the debris too.

    You look thinner? I am piling it on, not enough days on the hills. To make it worse, I have just started playing GTA5 which will occupy more of my time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would look thinner Ian it was three or four years ago now :-) .....i need to get out and lose some weight !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, good work finding the wreckage, I wonder if you could give an accurate estimate of its position? I'm planning to overfly the area in the near future and would like to know I've found the right spot. Thanks for any help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ronald , the GR is the one in the write up . Its unusual for me to put one tbh . There is not a lot left at the site and I doubt you would see it from the air . Another aircraft came down in virtually the same location ,,,although nothing is there from that aircraft ....all i found was a small fragment of glass which looked suspiciously aircraft of origin but was fairly inconclusive .

      Delete
  4. Cheers, I realise I won't see anything...I have difficulty seeing Blackpool Tower when I'm flying over it :) I just want to know that' I'll be looking at the right spot

    ReplyDelete